At Johns Hopkins, pursuing personalized medicine is nothing new. Our founding father William Osler set the course of modern medicine by urging his colleagues to “care more for the individual patient than for the special features of his disease.”
For 130 years, Johns Hopkins has focused on the idea that every patient’s battle with a disease is unique. While we are all 99.9 percent identical genetically, the differences that result from the remaining 0.1 percent make it unlikely that any two of us will respond the same way to a disease or a specific treatment.
Precision medicine holds a lot of promise for making health care more personalized and effective. As articulated by my colleagues Drs. Antony Rosen and Scott Zeger, precision medicine is the science-based application of modern measurement and analysis to improve each health decision.
This includes not only new advances in genetic testing, but also accurate and detailed clinical information to identify relevant health and disease subgroups. Our physicians can then use that information to determine what conditions we might develop, and what treatments or interventions are likely to work best for each specific patient.
At Johns Hopkins Medicine International, we connect clinical staff and investigators from our global affiliates with their Johns Hopkins counterparts to share knowledge and stimulate collaboration that will allow medical systems everywhere to achieve a new level of precision in health care.
Additionally, international patients who come to Johns Hopkins with diseases ranging from heart disease to prostate cancer are already benefiting from our advances in precision medicine and its application as innovative clinical care.
We are excited to see how we can apply precision medicine more broadly here and around the world. Learn more about the Johns Hopkins Medicine approach to personalized medicine in this special report.