In 1998, with just a handful of staff, Johns Hopkins Medicine established a global ambassador, Johns Hopkins Medicine International (JHI), to take its mission worldwide: improving the health of the community and the world by setting the standard of excellence in medical education, research and clinical care.
Since then, we’ve grown to help Johns Hopkins Medicine emerge as a pioneer in international collaborative health. Today, we deliver the promise of medicine to people across the globe—through culturally sensitive care at Johns Hopkins Medicine in the United States and groundbreaking collaborations that raise the standard of health worldwide.
We’ve transformed lives for two decades and counting, whether it’s serving as a trusted advisor to a new health care leader overseas, to welcoming a patient who has traveled thousands of miles to receive specialized care, to connecting a Johns Hopkins expert with opportunities to make a global impact.
Over the next several weeks, we’ll be sharing content from our Impact Report. You’ll read posts about how we serve patients and partners in the United States and around the world, including:
- Facilitating a three-year educational exchange that prepares pediatric nurses at Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital to be leaders who can succeed in spite of daily unpredictability in South Africa
- Opening an internationally accredited center at Fundación Santa Fe de Bogotá in Colombia to prevent and treat stroke, a leading cause of death in Latin America
- Responding to increasing numbers of patients traveling from China and tailoring our services to meet their linguistic and cultural needs every step of the way
- Nurturing both the health and spirit of a Bermudian patient whose torn artery threatened his wedding anniversary
- Tripling the number of practicing nurses who hold doctorates in Saudi Arabia through a first in-the-Kingdom Doctor of Nursing Practice program
- Bringing care closer to visiting international patients and their families by expanding the nonemergency medical services we offer in the suburbs of Baltimore and Washington, DC
Working closely with our colleagues across Johns Hopkins, we continue to expand our impact by promoting collaboration, elevating care, helping patients, fueling discovery, developing leaders and giving back—here and abroad.
We hope you’ll read the report and that you’ll continue to check out this blog to learn more about how JHI remains committed to realizing the mission of Johns Hopkins Medicine to improve the health of the community and the world.